I travel a lot and spend time in some incredible corners of the world. It’s a lifestyle a lot of folks want, but most don’t realize they can have.
I make my living by writing online about the places I visit. It’s a great way to share my experiences, stories and opinions with the world.
It’s a fun way of connecting with people, and it can also be very lucrative. Online writing is now my number one source of income.
And there are no barriers to entry. You just need a love for storytelling, some creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit. Interested? Take the quiz below and find out if it’s for you…
1. Do you enjoy telling stories?
The style of writing I use is, at its core, about storytelling. If you’re willing to share your thoughts, ideas and tales with the world, you too can make money this way.
2. Are you good at generating story ideas?
Many people worry they might struggle to think of topics to write about. If you’re bursting with more ideas than you know what to do with, you’re already ahead of the curve.
But what if you don’t know what to write about? Don’t worry—this is extremely common, even among people who do this for a living. Here are a few tips that can help the creative juices flow:
- Read more. Online, as well as books and magazines. The more you read, the more story ideas you’ll develop.
- Jot down notes everywhere you go. Maybe carry a small notebook around with you. Ideas strike at the most unusual moments so be prepared to write them down.
- Write about the intersection of traveling and another topic, like staying in shape while you travel, or maintaining a budget while on the road. This helps you draw on topic ideas from two fields.
3. Are you comfortable with the idea of promoting yourself?
The biggest difference between writing online and writing for a traditional print newspaper or magazine is that you’ll need to promote what you write. A newspaper or magazine has already developed its brand name and its audience. Your only job is to write the story, not to promote the publication.
When you’re writing online, however, you find your own audience. The more enthusiastic you feel about promoting, the more success you’ll experience. But if you can tell a good story, you’re already half way there.
Sign up for IL’s Fund Your Life Overseas e-letter today and we’ll also send you a FREE report about ways to earn money abroad. Simply enter your email in the box below and we’ll send you this free report: Fund Your New Life Overseas With These 6 Portable Careers.