Please read all our terms and conditions carefully prior to entering this competition.
To qualify as a candidate
1) You must be over 18 years of age.
1) One entry is permitted per person.
2) Entries cannot be revised or altered once they have been submitted.
3) Entries must be received by International Living by midnight eastern U.S. time on October 19, 2015. Any received after this date will NOT be considered.
4) International Living is not responsible for late, incomplete or misdirected entries, all of which are void.
5) Your entry must be 100% your original work.
6) International Living reserves the right to disqualify anyone who enters copy deemed to be inappropriate.
7) By entering the competition, you grant International Living permission to display your headline and lead on www.InternationalLiving.com, without compensation.
8) International Living is not liable for injury, loss, or damage of any kind resulting from this prize, travel related to it, or from participation in this contest.
The prize includes:
1) Round-trip airfare (for one) from the winner’s “home city” to one of International Living’s top 10 retirement havens of 2015—up to a maximum value of $2,000 (inclusive of ticket, fees, and taxes). Any changes in travel dates or fees associated with those changes are the responsibility of the winner.
2) $5,000 to spend on your travel experience in any way you like.
How – and when – the winner will be chosen
1) International Living is interested in a candidate willing to document the month-long stay (or longer) and share details about how much things cost, what he or she does to stay busy, impressions of the country and living overseas, likes, frustrations, pleasant surprises, and more.
- A background in writing or reporting is strongly preferred.
- If International Living uses any reporting or photos from the winner, there will be no additional payment and International Living reserves all rights to all submissions used.
2) October 19, 2015 – By midnight eastern U.S. time on October 19, 2015, all submissions are due. Any received after this date will NOT be considered.
3) November 4, 2015 – Choosing from all the submissions received, the International Living staff will post a shortlist of 20 finalists – displaying each entry on www.InternationalLiving.com.
4) November 4 – November 18, 2015 – The public will have an opportunity to vote for their favorite entries among these 20 finalists at www.InternationalLiving.com. Taking those public votes into account – together with our own in-house preferences – we’ll narrow the finalists to three.
5) November 18 to November 24, 2015 – International Living will ask those top three finalists to submit a longer travel article of 800 words and also interview the three finalists by telephone, ask each to provide answers to three questions via email, and we’ll choose a winner.
6) November 30, 2015 – We’ll announce the winner on this page and in our free e-letter.
7) The final decision as to who wins the prize is entirely at International Living’s discretion.
Prize specifics for the winner
1) The prize may not be redeemed for cash value.
2) Travel must take place before the end of 2016. International Living will collaborate with the winner to find a time that is convenient for him or her. Dates are subject to the availability of flights.
3) The winner will need to submit to International Living a doctor’s certificate stating he or she is fit to fly and to travel overseas.
4) To take advantage of the prize, the winner must have a valid passport at the time of travel. The winner is responsible for securing his/her own passport.
5) The winner will enter the country of his or her choice on a Tourist Visa. If he or she decides to stay beyond the month-long prize period, then he or she is responsible for securing and paying for any necessary visas or airline flight changes. The $5,000 cash prize can be used in any way the winner prefers.
6) Any funds the winner wishes to spend above and beyond the $5,000 International Living provides as part of the prize are his or her own responsibility.
Get Your Free Daily Postcards Here:
Sign up for our free Daily Postcard e-letter and we’ll immediately send you a FREE research report to help you find your perfect place to live better, for less, overseas.