Please read all our terms and conditions carefully prior to entering into this competition.
To qualify as a candidate
1) You must be over 18 years of age.
2) You must be a citizen of the United States or Canada.
1) One entry is permitted per person or couple.
2) Entries cannot be revised or altered once they have been submitted.
3) Entries must be received by International Living by midnight eastern U.S. time on March 15, 2012. Any received after this date will NOT be considered.
4) International Living is not responsible for late, incomplete or misdirected entries, all of which are void.
5) Your video entry must be 100% your original work.
6) International Living reserves the right to disqualify anyone who enters inappropriate videos.
7) By entering the competition, you grant International Living permission to display your video on www.InternationalLiving.com, without compensation.
8) International Living is not liable for injury, loss, or damage of any kind resulting from this prize, travel related to it, or from participation in this contest.
The prize includes
1) Round-trip airfare (for two) to Ecuador from the winner’s “home city” in the United States or Canada – up to a maximum value of $3,000 (inclusive of the two tickets). Any changes in travel dates or fees associated with those changes are the responsibility of the winner.
2) A four-week stay in a furnished apartment in historic Cuenca, Ecuador, rent paid by International Living.
3) $1,500 living-expense stipend to be used as spending money.
How – and when – the winner will be chosen
1) International Living is interested in a candidate willing to document the month-long stay and share details about how much things cost, what he or she does to stay busy, impressions of Cuenca and living overseas, likes, frustrations, pleasant surprises, and more.
- A background in writing or reporting is not necessary.
- If International Living uses any reporting from the winner, IL will compensate the winner at the current writer’s guideline rates, above and beyond the $1,500 living-expense stipend given as part of the prize.
2) March 15, 2012 – By midnight eastern U.S. time on March 15, 2012, all submissions are due. Any received after this date will NOT be considered.
3) April 2, 2012 – Choosing from all the submissions received, the International Living staff will post a shortlist of 20 finalists – uploading each of their videos to www.InternationalLiving.com.
4) April 2 – April 15, 2012 -- The public will have an opportunity to vote for their favorite videos among these 20 finalists at www.InternationalLiving.com. Taking those public votes into account – together with our own in-house preferences – we’ll narrow the finalists to three.
5) April 16 – May 29, 2012 – International Living will interview those three finalists by telephone, ask each to provide answers to three questions via email, and we’ll choose a winner.
6) May 30, 2012 – We’ll announce the winner on this page and in our free e-letter.
7) The final decision as to who wins the prize is entirely at International Living’s discretion.
Prize specifics for the winner
1) The prize may not be redeemed for cash value.
2) The four-week “prize period” must take place in 2012. International Living will collaborate with the winner to find a time that is convenient for him or her. Dates are subject to the availability of housing and flights.
3) The winner(s) will need to submit to International Living a doctor’s certificate stating he or she is (or they, if a couple, are) fit to fly and to live for one month in Cuenca at an elevation of approximately 8,500 feet. (Note: International flights land in Quito, Ecuador, which is at an elevation of 9,252 feet.)
4) To take advantage of the prize, the winner must have a valid passport at the time of travel. The winner is responsible for securing his/her own passport(s).
5) The winner will enter Ecuador on a Tourist Visa. If he/she decides to stay in Ecuador beyond the four weeks that constitute the “prize period,” then he/she is responsible for securing and paying for any necessary visas or airline flight changes.
6) Any funds the winner wishes to spend above and beyond the $1,500 International Living provides as part of the prize are his/her own responsibility.
Each day we uncover some of the most desirable--and cheapest--retirement havens on earth. In International Living's free daily postcards, you'll learn about retirement, property, travel and lifestyle opportunities from around the world. Read about the destinations you want to know more about, including countries like Ecuador, and some you may not have heard of yet. Sign up to become a reader of our popular free e-letter here