Ceviche is a popular dish on the coast of Ecuador. It is a blend of a few marinated vegetables and seafood, served cold in a citrus-based broth – the perfect refreshing meal for those warm days on the beach!
This video walks you through the process of preparing one version of this delicious treat, ceviche de camaron, shrimp ceviche.
Ingredients Ceviche de Camarón (makes 6 servings):
- 2lbs Unpeeled shrimps (w/ heads is a plus!)
- 5-6 Limes
- 2-3 Oranges
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 1 red onion
- ½ green pepper (optional)
- ½ red pepper (optional)
- 3 tomatoes
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice the limes into a large ceramic or glass bowl. Save a few of the squeezed limes for the stock.
- Slice the red onion into thin strips, and add to juice with a pinch or two of salt (save the skins and end pieces)
- Chop and add green and red bell pepper to mixture (optional)
- Juice the oranges, and the ketchup and stir to mix. Set aside.
- Cut a small “x” on the bottom of the tomatoes, and put in the stock pot with the water. When it has boiled for a few minutes, remove the tomatoes to a bowl of ice water.
- With tomatoes removed, add the retained pieces of olimes, onion and peppers (if used) to the stock pot. Add the garlic and bay leaves. Skin the tomatoes, and add skin to stock. Bring to a boil for several minutes.
- Dice tomatoes, and set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the boiling stock. Bring to a boil again, and cook for two minutes, or until shrimp turns pink.
- Remove shrimp to a bowl of ice water.
- Peel and devein shrimp and set aside, add skins and heads to the stock pot and continue to boil for 10-15 minutes.
- When stock has reduced a bit, remove from heat and strain out the liquid.
- In a large ceramic or glass container, prepare the ceviche by first adding the lime juice/vegetable mix. Add all of the orange juice/ketchup mix, and the shrimp. Stir and add the diced tomatoes. Start with a cup of the stock, stir and add more as needed to get a nice, soupy mixture (you will have stock left over for soups or more batches of ceviche). Finally, add the cilantro and stir.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or longer.
- Serve in a bowl with a lettuce leaf on the bottom. Unbuttered popcorn, rice, and/or fried plantains can be served as a garnish. Hot sauce can be added to give it a little zing.
Get Your Free Ecuador Report Here:
Learn more about Ecuador and other countries in our daily postcard e-letter.
Simply enter your email address below and we'll send you a FREE REPORT - Ecuador: Live Like Royalty on Your Social Security.
This special guide covers real estate, retirement and more in Ecuador and is yours free when you sign up for our postcards below.