What is required in order to apply for the permanent residency visa in Mexico?

I am an IL subscriber, have attended a conference and have visited several countries. I need information on Mexican permanent visa. I know you can apply for permanent residence and skip temporary status. But what is required regarding how much time needs to be spent in Mexico? We stay for 13 weeks each year, plan to increase to 5 months within few years. We’d like to get moving on obtaining permanent residency which we know needs to be applied for in our home country (MN,USA) Do you have to reside full-time in Mexico?

Don Murray – Mexico Correspondent

Don MurrayHi Sandra,

You are correct in that applications for Mexican Visas of all types (excepting visitor/tourist) are made by applying through your Mexican Consulate in your home country/State/Province.

With only one exception, all residency visas are first issued as Temporary Visas and must be regularly renewed. The only residency visa that may be issued “permanently” is issued under “Pensioner” or retired status. You must provide all the normal documents in addition to proving income equivalent to about $2500 monthly. The monthly amount varies according to a formula.

Permanent visa holders may come and go, without restrictions, at any time they wish, with no time requirements. However, all that said, your visitor’s visa will permit you to legally stay in Mexico for 180 days if you are a U.S. or Canadian citizen. Based on your current situation, there is no need to apply for a residency visa at this time.

A great resource that will thoroughly explain Mexican Immigration policy can be found here: http://www.mexperience.com/lifestyle/living-in-mexico/visas-and-immigration/

Best of luck!


Get Your Free Mexico Report Now

Learn more about Mexico and other countries in our daily postcard e-letter. Simply enter your email address below and we’ll send you a Free Special Report – Why Millions of Americans Are Moving to Mexico.

This special guide covers real estate, retirement and more in Mexico and is yours free when you sign up for our postcards below.

Get Your Free Report Here