Ireland Fast Facts
- Area: 27,132 square miles(70,273 square kilometers). Slightly larger than West Virginia.
- Location: Western Europe, occupying five-sixths of the island of Ireland in the North Atlantic Ocean, west of Great Britain.
- Population: 4,722,028 (July 2012 est.)
- Capital: Dublin
- Geography: Mostly level to rolling interior plain surrounded by rugged hills and low mountains; sea cliffs on west coast.
- Climate: Temperate maritime; modified by North Atlantic Current; mild winters, cool summers; consistently humid; overcast about half the time.
- Government: Republic, parliamentary democracy.
- Head of State: President Michael D. Higgins (since 11 November 2011)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Enda Kenny (since 9 March 2011)
- Language: English (official) is the language generally used, Irish (Gaelic or Gaeilge) (official) spoken mainly in areas along the western coast.
- Religion: Roman Catholic 87.4%, Church of Ireland 2.9%, other Christian 1.9%, other 2.1%, unspecified 1.5%, none 4.2% (2006 census).
- Time Zone: UTC 0 (5 hours ahead of Washington, DC during Standard Time).
- Daylight saving time: +1hour, begins last Sunday in March; ends last Sunday in October.
- Smoking: Since 2004, there has been a complete ban on smoking in Ireland wherever people are employed. Most pubs, bars, and restaurants will have an outside area for smokers. Hotels and B&Bs will have some smoking rooms.
Free Ireland Report
Learn more about Ireland and other European countries in our daily postcard e-letter.
Simply enter your email address below and we’ll send you a FREE report - Affordable Ireland – The Land of Saints and Scholars Goes on Sale.
This special guide covers real estate, retirement and more in Europe and is yours free when you sign up for our IL postcards below.