Retiree Benefits in Ecuador
If you’re 65 or older and looking for an incentive to retire overseas, take a look at what Ecuador can offer you. Unlike Panama’s pensionado program, which is aimed at foreign residents, Ecuador’s senior citizen discount program is intended to help its own citizens.
However, because the country’s constitution guarantees foreign residents the same rights as citizens, you can enjoy the same benefits as locals.
Here are some of the benefits of Ecuador’s over-65 discount program:
- 50% off public and private transportation within the country (including the Galapagos).
- 50% off tickets for all cultural and sporting events, including movies.
- 50% off electric and water bills (below certain usage levels).
- Free domestic landline phone service (does not include long distance and other services).
- Reductions in a variety of taxes, including income and sales taxes (these vary according to income and goods or services purchased).
Although not officially part of the government’s program, one of the most popular discounts for foreign residents is the 50% airfare reduction for international travel offered by airlines such as Taca, Copa Airlines, and Ecuador’s AeroGal. All three offer flights to the U.S. The discount applies to round-trip tickets purchased in Ecuador for flights originating within the country. The discount is available to all citizens and residents over the age of 65.
The cherry on top of retiring to Ecuador is that citizens and residents over 65 never have to stand in line. If you’re a senior citizen, when you make a bank deposit or pay your utility bill, it’s the law that you go directly to the front of the line…so you’ll have more time to relax and enjoy your retirement in Ecuador.
Free Ecuador Report:
Learn more about Ecuador and other countries in our daily postcard e-letter.
Simply enter your email address below and we’ll send you a FREE REPORT - Ecuador: Live Like Royalty on Your Social Security.
This special guide covers real estate, retirement and more in Ecuador and is yours free when you sign up for our postcards below.